How to (NOT!!) become a Weeaboo

Behold a post that probably makes you cringe. This is going to be a tough one and if you personally think that I lack information for this topic, then I don't know what you're thinking about. Because, let's be real, the definition of a Weeaboo is as versatile as the different flavors of Ramen.

What is a Weeaboo?

The definition of a Weeaboo is, as I mentioned, versatile but it's more or less the same. However, I picked some definitions from Urban Dictionary that would fit the most.
1. Someone who is obsessed with Japan/Japanese Culture/Anime, etc. and attempts to act as if they were Japanese, even though they're far from it. They use Japanese words but usually end up pronouncing them wrong and sounding like total a**holes.

 2. A non japanese person who basically denounces their own culture and calls themselves japanese. They try to learn japanese through the anime they watch and usually end up pronouncing it wrong and looking like a complete idiot.
KEEP IN MIND: that a non-japanese person can like the culture, watch anime, speak the language and RESPECT THE CULTURE, while still keeping in touch with there own. 
If you personally think that this could also be called an Otaku, then I have to say that Otaku and Weeaboo are NOT THE SAME THING. Here's what an Otaku is:
Otaku has multiple meanings. Casual anime fans use this word in the context of being a well established fan who knows much about anime and manga. Japanese see this term as derogitory which represents a person who is a lifeless nerd. This is a high-context word, in the american dialect, given the type of people using the word and the context of the discussion this OTAKU could mean expert or geek, complemetary or derogatory.  
See? Not the same. You think it is? Read the definitions twice and you will see that there's a really big definition. Don't put Otakus and Weeaboos in the same box. It's sorta disrespectful.

Okay, but what makes someone a weeaboo? Is that just it?
Ooooh no, there's much much more. And I'm willing to share everything that's from my experience.

1. Fanbase

Lots of weeaboos are watching the same anime, and I am talking about Mainstream Animes, like Naruto, One Piece, Sword Art Online or Fairy Tail. And before you complain, I do NOT say that these are so-called Weeaboo-Animes, because, heck, they're not. They're just EXAMPLES, okay? Cool. What I want to say is that almost every weeaboo is watching these animes because they're popular so that I can call them Mainstream. I personally am a big fan of One Piece, and I read the newest chapter every now and then. I GREW UP with the series because I enjoyed the characters and how they have developed within the years and that's just it. I could also put Attack on Titan in the Mainstream-Box but let's just slide this away, okay? It's not 'popular' enough to make it Mainstream enough so that a Weeaboo would watch it in my opinion.

2. Merchandise

"Oh wow you have a Nemu-Neko and a Hinagarasu-plush! Oh, is that a Monokuma Plush? Lol you must be such a Weeaboo!!"

No. In fact, I have these plush toys in my apartment but that does not make me a Weeaboo. Why? Because they're cute, okay? I love cute stuff but that does not make me a Weeaboo. I have a decent collection of plush toys and by decent I mean that my bed or my couch is not full of it. Sometimes they sit on my bed whenever I make my bed or they sit on the couch whenever I clean up my apartment, but that's just it.

But it's not only plush toys, the worst case could be a Dakimakura (Body Pillow). Don't get me wrong. They are comfy but it hurts me that some idiots are claiming these Body Pillows as their 'waifus' and sleep with them to have a certain 'sexual fantasy' or something like that. Even if I would want a body pillow and it would have a sexy guy with, I would have it because it's comfy. For me it honesty doesn't matter how it'd look like. If I want a Dakimakura with Takumi from Fire Emblem on it, I wouldn't claim him as my husbando or marry it or something like that ( Fun fact: A korean guy LITERALLY MARRIED a body pillow ). I would have it because it would be comfy and it would be nice. I like Takumi, but not in a matter that I would actually have sexual fantasies with him and having a body pillow to make it perfect.

If it wouldn't be that, owning a Katana/Sword Collection is cool to look at but making pictures posing with it makes you look like an idiot. Especially if you wouldn't wear a japanese cosplay... where we come to the next point.

3. Does being a cosplayer makes you a Weeaboo?

No. Basically if you do it RIGHT, it wouldn't make you a Weeaboo. Doing it right? What does that mean? Body standards? HELL, no! I don't care if you don't have the perfect body shape or the look, but if you don't give yourself effort on it buy not looking decent in a cosplay; and with that I ACTUALLY mean the looks, then you don't cosplay well. Honestly, this a very tough topic to discuss about because I always heard of people being claimed as a Weeaboo because they were buying their costumes instead of sewing their own but hey. IT DOESN'T MATTER IF YOU SEW OR BUY IT. The only thing that matters is that cosplaying is for fun. If you have the money to buy a professionally sewed cosplay than sewing your own, then go for it. If you'd rather sew your own costune because you want it to fit you and yourself, then JUST FRICKIN' DO IT. Cosplaying is for fun and if you think that buying costumes does not make you a real cosplayer, but a Weeaboo, then get out of here. That's ridiculous. Buying cosplays does not make you lazy, if you can't sew or not have the time for sew and you have the money for it then just go for it. Judging someone by how they cosplay is ridiculous.

4. Behavior

My favorite topic. Konnichiwa, Kawaii desu ne!! Baka!! Say that to my face and i won't talk to you again. Pronounce every word wrong and you probably can talk japanese to my fist and hey, I don't really want to become aggressive towards anyone hence I'm a pacifist. Act like an anime character and you won't see me ever again. Seriously, that's what a Weeaboo does. Learning japanese by the wrong sources (and YES I call anime as a wrong source) is not a way how to learn it. If you want to learn japanese, then buy the books or look for online classes that offer learning japanese. And you won't learn how to say how you hold a katana in the first lesson, it is REALLY different. And if you learn japanese GET THE PRONUNCIATION RIGHT. Japanese has a different pronunciation than english and any european language does.

But that's not only it. The language is not the worse one, but pretending to be an anime character. And if you know what a tsundere or a yandere is, then you know what I mean. If you act like the aforementioned ones and want to kill every damn person who gets close to your crush (yandere) then you REALLY need help. You watched way too much anime and it does not help you getting your crush as fast as possible. Being a badass and act like shy piece of trash in front of your senpai, calling them 'baka' and stuttering is weard to me. Even if the tests say that I'm a tsundere, I don't act like one by saying 'I-it's not th-that I like y-you or s-something, b-baka!', I have an own way how to be tsundere but not make an a**hole of myself.

5. Conclusion

If you love the japanese culture and want to be part of it, it is okay if you watch anime and try to get a good degree to learn japanology at college. It may help you. Do not try and act like an anime character or speak like one, you'll make an idiot of yourself. It's okay if you call your favorite anime character 'husbando' or 'waifu', but building a shrine for them is useless. She'll not notice you or come to you and love you. You'd need the space for anything else that would be more important. Don't call yourself a japanese and leave your country and go to Japan just because you finished the entire Naruto anime. Reality check: You CAN act like a normal person AND like anime. Just like me. I collect stuff but I lay off a lot of things. I ain't an Otaku either. I'm just a casual fan who loves anime and manga and the japanese culture. It is not childish at all. I grew up with it and it's my hobby. I want to visit Japan but only to see how the country would be like. Getting to know the country and what it is about. Visiting nice places. As a tourist, I won't try using japanese to talk with someone, maybe the 'tourist-japanese' but using the right pronunciation. That does not make you a weeaboo, by the way. You can look up on the internet and get information of how you should behave as a tourist who wants to have a good time in Japan.

That's all I have to say. If you hate me now I don't care. I am not judging anyone being a weeaboo- or at lease anyone i know.

finnley

1 comment:

  1. Hahah witziger Artikel :D
    Wollte dir bescheid geben, dass ich dich getagged hab: http://unnie.net/tag/tagged/
    Würde mich freuen, wenn du mitmachen würdest! Wenn nicht, ist das natürlich auch kein Problem ^^ LG Suzy unnie.net

    ReplyDelete