Book Review: Harry Potter and the Cursed Child


Even though I'm a lazy reader, I managed to finish the eight novel of the Harry Potter Era. Anyways: SPOILER WARNING! If you haven't read the book don't read this review!

First of all: What's it about?

For those who already have read the previous novels know little about the aftermath of the fight against Voldemort. The seventh novel has somehow described about the future of several characters, mainly the protagonists. People who have followed JK Rowlings interviews and information on Pottermore, know more about it. Anyways, let me start what's it about.

With the eighth novel, you'll be introduced a new story. Not only that, you get to know more about Harry Potter's children- however, the focus is more set on Albus Potter, the eldest son of Harry Potter. He doesn't seem to get used to the whole 'son of the boy who survived'-thing and all around it and is kind of it. He wants to live his own life at school but it doesn't seem to work after the sorted hat put him into a house he actually was fearing and expecting to get in: Slytherin.

Of course it's a hard task since his cousin Rose was put into Gryffindor, and the whole situation makes it hard for him to feel fit into the house. However, he gets friends with Scorpius Malfoy, the son of Draco Malfoy, much to his father dismay since rumors say that Scorpius might be the son of Voldemort.

During the story, Albus and Harry get confronted by several events, such as the death of Cedric Diggory, who was killed by Voldemort in the fourth novel (Harry Potter And The Goblet Of Fire) hence Cedric's father is still mourning over him and not over the death of his son.

TLDR, the story is about Albus Potter and how he has to mange his life in Hogwarts, how it'd be like being put into Slytherin instead of Gryffindor as well as the time travel through the past since he wants to 'fix' Cedric's death and the consequences of changing the time.

Second: How were the texts?

I read the german translation and for me it was easily understandable since it has more dialogues than any paragraph. Since it's a theatre script they didn't really optimize the text and changed it into paragraph. For me it was really easy and very fast to read so that I was able to finish the book very fast. I am a lazy reader so it took me like 6 days to finish it; however, if I would have read it at once I could have finished it in one day.

Third: The characters?

I heard that it was hard to identify with the characters, but for me it was somewhat easy. Of course it's hard to imagine things like how they would look like and all, but for someone who would read script styled texts every now and then it was really easy to identify with the characters as well as to imagine them.

Fourth: The setting?

If you had watched the movie you may have the imagination of several places- such as Hogwarts, the Trail Station and what so ever. Some places were still recognizable from the movies so there's not really anything I could complain.

Last but not least?

I you are a potterhead just like me and you don't really care about the way the book is written just go and read it. Of course I am simply disappointed over several details, otherwise I could go well with it. As much as I've heard, a movie about the book has been confirmed, so if you rather want to wait for the movie just go for it.

finnley

1 comment:

  1. I guess I'm still going to pass on it. Despite my love of Shakespeare and reading those in play formats, I can't wrap my head around Potterverse. I guess the ending of the last book rubbed me the wrong way.

    http://dreaming-arcadia.com/

    ReplyDelete